The major in international studies provides an interdisciplinary perspective on global politics, economics, cultures and history. The combination of cutting edge skills and in depth knowledge of global issues prepares students for careers in a variety of fields such as international public policy, international business and finance, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, and academic research and teaching.
Ten great reasons to major/double-major in International Studies at UCI!
IS students are active, engaged and informed global citizens – join us!
- The International Studies major prepares students with the relevant knowledge, analytical skills, and experience necessary for navigating our increasingly globalized world
- International Studies at UC Irvine was named one of five Nerd Scholar national favorites in 2014
- International Studies students gain valuable expertise in the politics, economics and cultures of the world through foundational courses
- International Studies students achieve expertise in both a functional area and a “region” of the world
- International Studies has a track record of placing majors in a wide range of exciting careers and graduate programs
- International Studies majors and alums are working to shape the future of international affairs locally and globally
- International Studies students are enthusiastic and committed, engaging in research that matters, clubs that organize valuable social and intellectual activities, and experiences that relate classroom knowledge to the world
- International Studies students can apply to live in the International Peace and Conflict Studies (IPACS) House in Arroyo Vista
- International Studies students (and others!) take the Global and International Studies Forum, a bi-weekly series of public lectures on pressing issues of the day that brings to campus scholars and public figures from around the U.S. and the world
- International Studies students gain invaluable experience through internships locally and/or study abroad or through UCDC academic and summer programs.
Careers of International Studies Alumni:
Diplomacy (consular and State Department)
U.S. AID (Agency for International Development)
International Business (locally and abroad)
NGO work in development, rights, and humanitarianism (in Latin America, Africa, Europe and the U.S.)
Security (Homeland Security, Office of the President of the United States)
Interested? Contact us soon!
Department Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Assistant Analyst, email@example.com